Bridget Miles – Chief Executive Mama of www.mamamilesfiles.com
In honor of the rapidly approaching Thanksgiving holiday, I thought we should take a “staycation” this time around and connect with our roots in a mind blowing way. Seriously, I hope you’re sitting down, because this one’s a doozy!
Today I’m going to talk about the unicorn of meal deals: the Thanksgiving Croissant by Momofuku Milk Bar. Yes, you can buy something from a world-renowned eatery that will put you into a food coma and bring you back to childhood Thanksgiving memories as you close your eyes and sink your teeth into its soft flakey crust… for under $5. No coupons necessary – just bring a pillow because you’re about to tryptophan OUT.
This croissant is some sort of Harry Potter meets Criss Angel magic. It absolutely (Plymouth) rocks! For $3.30 (OK I’m cheating a little, I bought the $10 meal where you get a fancy draink and a flipping ridiculous cookie called the compost cookie. But all things being equal, 10 divided by three equals $3.33), you get to live out your holiday season dreams with a little time travel experience thrown in there.. #Worthit.
Without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to the Thanksgiving croissant:
It may look small and an odd brown tone, but it’s actually larger than your average croissant. It has a caramel brown coloring and is perfectly plump with all of the quintessential Thanksgiving fixings: white and dark meat turkey, cranberry sauce and gravy, all topped with celery salt. The celery salt makes the croissant taste exactly like stuffing; salty, slightly sweet and insatiably addictive.
You must eat this warm.That is an order! Momofuku will warm it up for you, or you can do as I did and warm it up in the microwave *gasp* (the moisture from the ingredients on the inside prevent the croissant from getting chewy and gross in the microwave).
Here’s what the scrumptious insides look like:
*WARNING* You’ll want to make sure you have nothing else to do afterwards except pass out on the couch while watching “James and the Giant Peach.” It really is that good.
Find your closest Milk Bar and indulge, or make this easy DIY version at home:
1 can Pillsbury croissant dough
1 cup of white meat turkey
1 cup dark meat turkey
1/2 cup leftover gravy
1 tbsp butter (to brush on top)
Celery salt (most stores have this in the spice section)
1 can cranberry sauce (or homemade, free range, whatever you like. Just don’t deny the canned stuff is delicious).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1) Open the croissants. Separate the triangles and stretch each out to create more surface area of dough. Sprinkle with a pinch of celery salt, saving some to top them off after baking.
2) On the widest two-thirds of the croissant, layer your turkey, gravy and cranberry in the middle, leaving a bit of room on the edges.
3) Carefully roll the dough over itself in typical croissant fashion, making sure all the stuffing is enveloped inside.
4) Melt your butter in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds and brush the tops of each croissant with it. Sprinkle the remaining celery salt on top.
5) Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the croissants look golden brown.
6) Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve with extra cranberry on the side (because… endless cranberry.)
Close your eyes, succumb to the radiant deliciousness and enjoy!